Week 2 Discussion: Fight against cancer
Week 2 Discussion: Fight against cancer
The global community is plagued by increasing incidence of lung cancer, colorectal cancer, breast and pancreatic cancers, prostate cancer, leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, liver, ovarian and esophageal cancers. Other types of cancer exist but are less frequent. What is the scientific community doing to attempt to eliminate the most common forms of cancer that are ravaging our society?
1. Be certain you’ve read your textbook’s chapter on cell division, specifically the last section on how cells become cancerous. This is context for completing Individual Assignment 3.
2. Watch the Presentation (text book reading) entitled: “Ways to Fight Cancer”. Notice that the presentation outlines essentially 3 approaches to fighting cancer: a) reduction of cancer risks, b) correction of cancer genes, and c) destruction of cancerous tissue.
3. In the Individual Assigntment 3: 10 Discoveries in the War on Cancer document is a set of 10 scientists’ discoveries. Scan the discoveries briefly. In the text box, number from 1 to 10 for the 10 discoveries listed below.
4. Now reflect carefully on the first discovery (#1). Would this discovery be more useful for (a) reducing cancer risks, (b) correcting/restoring cancer cells to normal, or (c) destroying cancerous tissue? After number 1 in your list, place in parentheses the letter representing the approach to fighting cancer that will best be served by this new discovery. (More than one approach may be served. But which is most likely to be helped most significantly?)
5. Now repeat this analysis for each of the remaining 9 discoveries. Return to the “Ways to Fight Cancer” presentation as needed for additional perspective. When finished, your entire text box should be simple: a numbered (1-10) list of letters a, b or c. That’s it! Assignment done.
6. Ten points are granted for each correct association up to 6 correct. If you get any 6 correct out of 10, you get a perfect score (60 pts.) on the assignment. Your assignment is
Topic: What Should You Eat
You probably want to live a long and healthy life on this earth. What are you willing to do to make that possible? Here is an assignment that can improve the quality of what you eat, and hence, the quality of your life. Let’s develop the rudiments of a maintenance diet for you—a desirable, workable, realistic, non-faddish maintenance diet. You have four reference sources:
• Your textbook’s chapter on biomolecules; how they are built and used
• The Bible, any texts that pertain to nutrition (be very selective here!)
• The course Presentation entitled “Biomolecules and Nutrition”< /li>
• a Google source, such as: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/HG72/hg72_2002.pdf
Build your diet using the same biomolecular categories you read about in your textbook—your diet will contain: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, vitamins, and minerals.
ORDER NOW FOR CUSTOMIZED, PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
For your Thread:
1. List the above six categories.
2. Under each category, list eight separate specific foods that are well known to be high in that category. Do not reuse any food under a second category. You will thus select 48 foods for your diet—not a huge variety, but it’s a start!
• Most really good foods are high in more than one category. This gives you flexibility in building your list. Salmon is high in proteins, vitamins, lipids, nucleic acids, and minerals. What is it highest in? Use it under only one heading.
• For carbohydrates you could select either pasta or ice cream. For nucleic acids, you can select virtually any plant or animal tissue, right? (what cell lacks DNA?) The goal is to select individual foods that are high in content in that category, but that are optimal nutritionally in every other way as well!
• What is in the food item you’ve selected? Check out your 4th source above (especially Table 9). Week 2 Discussion: Fight against cancer
• Except for carbs, your other five categories could be entirely meats! Is that wise? Consider also the dietary wisdom found in the Bible and in USDA food pyramids.
• Remember fiber and liquids. Non-distilled water fits well under one of those categories!
Along with your six lists of eight foods, you may submit up to two Bible passages that you feel most constrain your thinking on these things.
Spend the whole first week optimizing your list. You may freely visit other student’s lists to see what they have chosen—(but then they become your authority). Your goal is always to improve your own list. Please include about 54 words for your diet (6 headings + 48 foods) with space left over for two Bible verses for a total of 100 words.
Topic: Birth Control
You and your classmates are experts in reproductive physiology. You have been hired collectively as an advisory service. The Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA) is producing a website devoted to helping young married women to evaluate and compare a variety of birth control measures. Your advisory service will have three reference sources:
• Your textbook’s chapter on human reproduction, specifically the section on “control of birth”
• The course Presentation entitled “Birth Control Issues”
• Trusted web sites dealing with birth control
Below is a set of six general categories of birth control that your panel must evaluate for CMDA:
• Pills/patches/rings (estrogen + progestin)
• Sympto-thermal + condom/diaphragm
• Intra-uterine device (ParaGard, Mirena)
• Surgical – vasectomy
• Surgical – tubal ligation
For your Thread: As an advisory panelist, briefly research each of these categories with regard to their: a) protection of newly conceived life, b) protection of maternal health c) reversibility and d) effectiveness. Select the category of control you personally believe to be the best balance of these four categories.
Use three numbered sentences to: a) state the category you have chosen, b) Explain its principle virtues (using multiple phrases as necessary), and c) its limitations. Week 2 Discussion: Fight against cancer
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more